Click here for Blogs
This blog entitled “Political earthquake in Washington shakes the world” reflects on the frenzied weeks events that have occurred since January 6th when a “Save America Rally” was addressed by Donald Trump and the crowd then marched down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol. Rioters breached the security barriers and entered the building, halting the Joint meeting of Congress to ratify Joe Biden’ s Presidential victory.
An earlier blog ” Trump card – winner of loser ” is about the aftermath of the November 2020 US election and represents a view from the UK on the issues surrounding it. This election provided drama and controversy .
Previous blogs have fallen into two categories. The first have been about making the most of the extra time available during lockdown for looking at the environment around us and reflecting on our lives. These comprise:
- New Year’s resolutions and 2021 solutions is about making resolutions. During the past few months we have had time for reflection and an opportunity to make fresh resolutions and to try embarking on new activities.
- Christmas dilemmas but lights on the horizon” explores the decision whether to spend Christmas in isolation or to travel to see friends and family and considers what rays of hope are on the horizon
- Seasons of sighs and mournful wistfulness – autumn is a mellow season with the wonderful colours of the trees and the abundance of fruit. At the end of the summer, as the days shorten and the leave start falling, it is a good time for reflection
- Stones and the passage of time – is about how structures of stone not only provide a place to live, a fortification or a place of worship but enrich lives.
- White swans and black birds – the enjoyment and solace gained by the blackbird in our garden and the swans at the pond we pass on one of our walks.
- Phases of the moon – time to observe the world and the night sky around us over a lunar month
- Paths and destinations – reflections on life choices and complexities as we entered lockdown
- Caribbean escape – gentle musings in the first weeks of isolation and dreaming in the bath
The second category is more about the politics and effects of lockdown restrictions on our lives. These comprise:
- Emergence – is about coming out of lockdown with different road maps for Scotland and England . It touches on the feelings of emerging from isolation after such a long time
- The two faces of politics – the political storm and public anger over Dominic Cumming’s trip to Durham
- Touching distance – the ways in which social distancing have affected us and the debate on what distance is a safe distance
Shortly I hope to add some pages devoted to outdoor photography.